FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE --- Elizabeth City State University announces Mr. William G. Smith as the new Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement at Elizabeth City State University. Mr. Smith will also supervise the following departments: Alumni Relations, The Community Development Program, University Relations & Marketing, Radio/TV Services. Mr. Smith holds a bachelor of arts degree in public administration from North Carolina Central University and he completed the Mid-Management Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Banking.
Mr. Smith has over 30 years experience in the financial services industry: Chief Business Development Officer at Imperial Community Bank (2008); President and Chief Executive Officer at Mutual Community Savings Bank Inc. SSB (2001-2008); Senior Vice President and Community Development Lending Sales Leader for the Mid-Atlantic Region at Wachovia (1999-2001) (formerly First Union National Bank of North Carolina.) Mr. Smith also served as an executive for several years prior to that post. (see the list below)
He’s also served on numerous boards including the UNC Board of Governors, Former Chairman and member of the Triangle Transit Authority, the North Carolina Bankers Association, America's Community Bankers Association, Downtown of Durham Inc., the North Carolina Central University Real Estate Foundation, the North Carolina Association of Community Development Corporations, North Carolina Bank Commission, former Chairman of the Minority Bank Council of America's Community Banker, former Chairman North Carolina Central University Board of Trustees, Former President of the National Association of Urban Bankers. He is a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, 100 Black Men of America, Inc., and Sigma Pi Fraternity (“The Boule’)
Mr. Smith is a native of Bertie County, North Carolina. A list of his professional positions follows...
Mr. William G. Smith has over 30 years experience in the financial services industry:
President and Chief Executive Officer of Smith Consulting Services which focuses on advising clients with financial, banking and community service strategies.
- Imperial Community Bank
- 2008 until the present, Chief Business Development Officer
- Mutual Community Savings Bank Inc., SSB
- 2001 through 2008, President and Chief Executive Officer
- Wachovia (formerly First Union National Bank of North Carolina)
- 1999 through 2001, Senior Vice President and Community Development Lending Sales Leader for Mid-Atlantic region
- 1992 through 1999, Senior Vice President/Market President-Durham Chapel Hill and Regional Operations Manager for Mid Atlantic Bank
- 1990 through 1992, Senior Vice President and regional Consumer Banking Executive-Raleigh
- 1986 through 1990, Vice President and Consumer Banking Manager-Raleigh-Durham
- 1981-1986, Assistant Vice President and Consumer Credit Sales Manager and Branch Manager-Raleigh
- 1977-1981, Branch Manager-Raleigh
Director of Media Relations
Office of University Relations & Marketing
Elizabeth City State University
Campus Box 778
1704 Weeksville Road
Elizabeth City, NC 27909