- This Week at The Center: Shakespeare To Go
- Arts of the Albemarle was thrilled to host students from Currituck High School, Camden High School, and River Road Middle School in The Maguire Theatre on Tuesday, March 9th. More than 400 students attended a production of The Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare To Go and were thoroughly entertained by the raucous production.
- Arts of the Albemarle is delighted to welcome The Hurrah Players to the Maguire Theatre on Friday, March 19th for a performance of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Broadway Musical. This is the first in a series of performances that this talented group is bringing to the Maguire Theatre. Watch for more information about this great new partnership!
Tickets are $15 and are available at the Center. Please call (252) 338-6455 for more information.
- Arts of the Albemarle welcomes Jonathan Byrd in concert, Saturday, March 20th. A Chapel Hill native, Jonathan has been making waves on the music scene since winning the North Carolina Songwriter's Co-op "Song of the Year" in 2000. His music ranges from bluegrass to country blues - one critic hailed him as "the Alison Krauss of the male gender." To check out the buzz on Byrd, visit www.jonathanbyrd.com.
Tickets on sale NOW at The Center. Call (252) 338-6455 for more information.
- Arts of the Albemarle offers a weekly Open Studio every Wednesday from 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm. Every week, we offer the opportunity for artists to be with creative individuals to paint, draw, and create together - Kelly Cameron will be available to offer advice, critique or guidance as needed. Bring your own supplies, and we will supply the space (1st Floor), tables, water and chairs. Any medium goes! Light refreshments are served. Cost: members - $85 for 6 weeks or $20 individual daily fee, Non-members - $100 for 6 weeks, and $25 individual daily fee. All attendees must pay a $10 registration fee per 6 weeks. 6 Week purchases will receive a "punch-card", your card is punched when you attend.
- Stan Akins is back for our Middle Eastern Carpet and Rug Show! This annual show is at the Jaquelin Jenkins Gallery at The Center through March 27th. Stan Akins has returned with his beautiful carpets and accessories and is also showing furniture, pillows, handbags, table runners and many more treasures. We have extended Sunday hours during this show - 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Don't miss this spectacular show!
Please call (252) 338-6455 for more information.
- Come watch creativity in action at The Center! Arts of the Albemarle is lucky to have the opportunity to host Spotlight Artists. These talented and generous artists will be creating their own work in the foyer at The Center. This week's Spotlight Artist is Ian Lowry, a native of Elizabeth City who specializes in pen and ink, as well as architectural drawings. Ian will be drawing on Thursday from 10:00 am - 1:40 pm, and Friday from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Don't miss seeing his amazing talent at work!
- Zambezi Rhythms
- Please come watch this semester's students of The Center Players in their 35 minute presentation packed with song and dance! Come and support these talented young people in The Maguire Theatre this Friday, March 12 at 7:00 pm.
- Spring Registration
- Spring Session: March 29-May 28 (No classes Easter Break Week: April 5-9)
- The Center Players ages 8-11 attend classes Mon/Tues. from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm in the Twiford Room.
- The Center Players ages 12-18 attend classes Wed./Thurs. 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm in the Twiford Room.
- Auditions for new students Tuesday, March 16, from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm in The Maguire Theatre.
- Students who are new to the Spring Session will be asked to sing a song of their choice and to read (scripts will be given to them at the audition). New students will join the currently enrolled students in auditioning for The Ever After Musical, the spring production to be performed May 28th.
Cost for the Spring Session $330.00 (includes registration fee). Registration forms available at the front desk at The Center. Please register before 4:00 pm on March 16th.
- We are accepting registrations for the spring sessions of our very popular Adult Tap Class. Cost for the session is $90 (includes processing fee). Times to choose from are:
- Monday 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
- Monday 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Wednesday 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Friday 10:30 am - 11:30 am
- Thought about learning something new? Do your children have an interest in music lessons? NOW is the time to make it happen! Sign up to begin lessons in March and receive a voucher for your 5th lesson FREE! Instruction available in art, guitar, flute, voice, and piano. Other instruction available upon request.
Lessons are held once a week for 30 minutes and are $60 per month. To schedule new lessons, pick up a request form at The Center or call (252) 338-6455.
- The Elizabeth City Music Club is offering a free concert on March 13th at 3:00 pm at Christ Episcopal Church. They are presenting Mystic Harmony, a trio of performers who perform Celtic-inspired folk music. Check out their website (www.mysticharmony.net) to learn more about this unique group. Call Maggie Morris at (252) 339-1976 for more information.
- The Coastal Cohorts, featuring Don Dixon, Bland Simpson, and Jim Wann, will be performing songs and stories from King Mackerel & The Blues Are Running and Wild Ponies in The Maguire Theatre on March 26th at 8:00 pm. Celebrating their 25th anniversary, the Coastal Cohorts are performing in North Carolina as a benefit for the North Carolina Coastal Federation.
Tickets are $15 for North Carolina Coastal Federation members and $20 for nonmembers. Tickets are available NOW at The Center. For more information about the Coastal Cohorts, visit www.myspace.com/thecoastalcohorts.
For more information or to schedule a tour, please call 252-338-6455.